3.04.2013

Goodbyes. Hellos.

petey1

Petey. Stinky Pete. My little booboo. We had to put him out of his misery. He had a great life. Long and easy. Lots of love. Warmth & comfort.

He left us last November. I held his little head in my hands and kissed his nose as he went. He was so loved.

petey2

Was I the best dog owner? No. Did I love him? Yes.

It took a long time, and I thought I could never go through that again. Never. But there was such an empty place in my heart. I didn't realize how much he was a part of my life. And I sorely missed having a a little furry face always with me. I'm hoping to learn and evolve. I want to be a better dog owner. And I want a dog.

So, in January we adopted Chance from the Escambia County Shelter. He was estimated to be 8-9 months old. A mixed breed...American Bulldog and Lab. He is a handful. And precious.

collage

I don't know where he came from, or what happened to him the first part of his life. But from now on I'm going to give him the same love and warmth that Petey grew accustomed to...and more. I going to be better.  I'm taking him to training classes. I walk him everyday. We take him to the dog park. I pick up poop. Like a poop fanatic.

He is doing so good on his leash. Progress. He wants to get on the couch...that is a battle. He is strong willed. But, so am I. He is pretty polite. Not a constant 'jump up on' people kind of dog, but does occasionally does jump on people.

He is quite. I have only heard his little doggie voice on rare occasions, and that is usually when we are walking up to the dog park...he gets so excited that he does a little whimper. Then today, before I could open the dog park gate, there was the 'greeting party' on the other side, barking. Then he BARKED! Low and loud. I looked around wondering where that was coming from. It was my Chance.

Bumble is not thrilled with the idea. I know he loves him. And Chance adores Bumble. And Chance gives Bumble the respect of the alpha dog. I am not a good alpha. Working on it.

What do I enjoy about having this new little life in our house? There is a certain discipline in it. A routine. I get daily walks...even with a bum knee. They are slow walks, but walks, never the less. I see the sun come up over the pine trees in the park in the morning, and the sun set over them at night. I see the stars twinkle in a dark sky. I see a full golden moon. I walk in the rain! Roll up my pant legs and splash through puddles with my rubber Crocks. Some mornings it is so foggy I can barely see 10 feet in front of us. Other times it is crystal clear. I have met all the neighborhood kids....and they have met Chance. They come running to pet him, getting on their knees to give him kisses and hugs. He is ever so gentle with even the tiniest of them.

So my life has expanded. More outdoors. More involvement in the neighborhood. Meeting neighbors. Talking. Just enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment