9.02.2010

My cars...

It all started with a '50 Chevy that is still my favorite. What I wouldn't give to have the Gray Ghost back. She was dependable and durable. Like a tank. Comfy. Better than sitting on couch. And she had that smell. No. Not the new car smell. She had the old, I've been around, smell. We bought her from a big Mexican guy that Dad worked with. It think maybe $350. When we left South Dakota, I had to sell her. Dad said she couldn't make the drive all the way to Illinois. Broke my heart.


50 chevy
My 1st love



The next story is sad and short. Dad was big on gas mileage. And he was hot for Renaults. Therefore, I got a brand spanking new Renault. Sweet little car. Kinda green. Tan interior. (very European) And by golly, she was all business. She got me where I wanted to go with the least amount of gas. After all, gas prices was climbing up. I think they were up to $.35/gallon. So, you can see my Dad's urgency to get me in a economical car.

I had this little car about a month. Then one night, after a long shift at the truck stop, I was came home and went to bed. I was feeling sick. Lonnie, sensing my weakness, preyed on me and I didn't put up much of a fight. I just wanted him out of my face so I could sleep. I handed over the car keys. He immediately got in the car, and not more than 5 minutes later took a swan dive with it into a little creek between Marine and the Interstate. He probably would of drowned had someone not seen him go in. He knocked his fool self out and was underwater.


Renault
Didn't get to know you well.



I think after Lonnie wrecked my Reanult, I got the Goat. A '66 or '67 GTO. Lonnie had her for a bit, and decided that he didn't want her anymore. So Dad thought the price was right and I should take her off his hands. (I'm seeing a trend here with Dad and my cars.) She was a huge, red, loud, fast, sexy machine. And she made me feel funny. I wanted to drive fast. I wanted to rev my engine. And dang. I wanted to be sexy. At least I was loud.


the goat
The Goat



I don't know why, but in retrospect, I'm guessing Dad had a hand in this, I sold the Goat, and bought yet another car from Lonnie. This was a little Sunbeam Alpine. Black with red interior. Convertible. And it had a hard top that snapped on like a suitcase. I had a ball with this car. It was, hands down, the funniest to drive. FUN FUN FUN!!!! It was snappy, responsive, and quick. Little four on the floor. Zip, zip, zip. Well, one sad day I was taking a trip into St. Louis, and not being a big city driver, I immediately rear ended another car, which in turn rear ended another car, which, well...you get the picture. In the car ahead of me was a guy named Jimmy Stewart. And his wife was very worried about me. Remember I told you the hard top snapped on like a suitcase? Well, I hit my head on one of the latches and laid it right open. I had blood everywhere. That is why I have that scar on my forehead. The place I rub when I'm stressed. Anyway, that ended my little Alpine. She was totaled :-(


SunbeamAlpine




My next car was cool. A '68 Mustang. It was what the 60's was all about. Being unpretentiously cool. Hip. With it. And in that car, anyone could be all of that and more. My Mustang ended up staying in South Dakota, when I had to leave. It was a little thing called Nicole Lynn that changed my plans. So, I sold my Mustang and flew to Colorado Springs!


1967-1968-ford-mustang-5




That's the last car I'm going to talk about. After that it became a barrage of Pinto's and Dodge Darts. No one wants to relive that rolling horror show.

Of course, none of these images are of the original. But just a little visual aid to give you an idea of my fun cars. Damn. They just don't make them like this anymore.

1 comment:

  1. These cars are awesome I am so sorry you have a VW beetle now. My gosh I would kill for that mustang. The 50 Chevy would make me weep like a school girl. You are one interesting lady thats why I love you.

    ReplyDelete