3.14.2009

The Man in Black



Tell me. When did this happen? Exactly when did I start loving Johnny Cash? When did hearing his voice worbble out a tune bring goosebumps to my skin, tears to my eyes, a smile to my lips, my knees get shaky? Just exactly when?

I remember as a child my parents listening to Johnny. I thought 'how could they?' This is not music. And yet, here I am. Did it happen when I got those God awful jowl things on my face. (Which, by the way, I'm NOT happy about.)

On a side note, apparently on Pandora, Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson are closely tied. One Johnny, one Willie. Which lead me to my connection with Willie. I feel a kinship to him. Why, we were almost best friends. Here is how that came to be. Ages ago, while married to my ex, we would take vacations to Texas. (Feel sorry for me later. Just read for now.) On these trips I met his extended family. One of these was Ronnie, his cousin. We got along very well, Ronnie and I. As it turned out, Ronnie was always invited to Willie's famous 4th of July shindigs at his place. So, it would of only been a matter of time, had I pushed the issue, that I would of been passing the time with Willie on his ranch. See how that works?

No comments:

Post a Comment