12.06.2007

Memoirs of a Geisha



This book cast a spell on me as I read it. It had all sorts of things going for it.
  1. It was in Japan
  2. It made you feel and smell and taste all of that time
  3. It was a romance
  4. It was happy
  5. It was sad
I love reading anything about the far east. This book put me in a place I never thought I would be...a geisha house in Gion. It was nothing as I thought it would be. Of course, it probably is light years from the actual truth, but still an intriguing tale.

A friend of my daughter told her that it was similiar to A Fine Balance. The only similarities I could tell is that they both made you feel like you were there. Great detail.

I wondered after reading the book...What if Pumpkin had brought Nobu, as instructed, to the meeting place instead of the Chairman. I think that Sayuri would of been doomed to a life without the Chairman. She would of had to find a way to let the Chairman know how she felt, and I didn't see that occurring. As it turned out, the Chairman knew her well enough to know what she was trying to do. That is all I'm saying in case someone hasn't read the book.

I really did enjoy reading this book. It had a happy ending, which never hurts.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you wrote about this. I really like it. It was sad AND happy.
    GREAT book :)
    xoxo
    nik

    ReplyDelete